Bring a Bucket & Pray
Intiative for Hurricane Harvey Victims
Join us Sunday, September 10, 2017, 10 am
Centenntial Park, Munster, IN
Saint Raphael the Archangel, Calumet Harley-Davidson, and other NWI small businesses will host “Bring a Bucket and Pray” to assist Hurricane Harvey victims in South Texas and Louisiana, this Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017 at 10 AM in Centennial Park, Munster, IN. The initiative hopes to collect 500 emergency clean up buckets, filled with cleaning supplies that will be donated to the over 32,000 persons who have evacuated their homes due to this natural disaster.
Northwest Indiana, and Munster, IN in particular, remember the flooding resulting from 2008’s Hurricane Ike. This event is meant to foster community in solidarity with the victims of Hurricane Harvey. Buckets will be sent to Church World Service Shipping Center in Elkhart, IN, who is working in cooperation with Texas VOAD, the Red Cross, and FEMA.
Texas VOAD and FEMA have requested the collection of Emergency Cleanup Buckets as a constructive way that those responding to the need can act in addition to their monetary donations. It is important that the directions for the Emergency Cleanup Buckets be followed because they are in compliance with Texas VOAD and FEMA specifications.
In order to participate, download the following shopping list, create a bucket, bring it to the park where buckets will be collected and shipped, and pray with us at a special Mass that will be in the victims’ honor. A separate collection will be taken for donations to Church World Service’s Hurricane Harvey Relief.
For more information on how to participate, contact Fr. Mark Kurowski at firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Inquiries please contact Hannah Kurowski at email@example.com or Anna Kreisl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One five-gallon bucket with resealable lid (If bucket has been used, clean well but do not use if it has held chemicals of any kind.)
- Four scouring pads
- Seven sponges, including one large
- One scrub brush
- Eighteen reusable cleaning towels (e.g. Easy Wipes)
- One 50 oz. or two 25 oz. bottle(s) of liquid laundry detergent
- One 16-28 oz. bottle of liquid disinfectant dish soap
- One 12-16 oz. bottle of household cleaner that can be mixed with water (no spray bottles)
- One package of 48-50 clothespins
- Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
- Five dust masks
- Two pairs non surgical latex gloves
- One pair work gloves, cotton with leather palm or all leather
- 24-28 heavy duty or contractor type 30-45 gallon trash bags on a roll and removed from carton
- One 6-9 oz. bottle of non-aerosol insect repellent
All cleaning items must be new – all liquid items must be capped and securely tightened. Place all items into the bucket, making sure they are packed securely to avoid damage during shipment. Snap the lid on tight and seal with packing tape.
Processing fee: $3.00 per bucket